I've Got The Magic

While others were settling down and trying to hear the word of God in the church, I was busy replaying BOB's I've got the magic in me in my head.

I've got the magic in me
Everytime I touch that track it turns into gold
Everybody knows I've got the....

It went on and on until I had to scold my  mind and  get myself together. While I listened to the rather long talk on The Holy Spirit, I realised why the song had come to me. The 'magic' is the Holy Spirit. When we receive him, we have the power to do anything we want. Do you know the best part? Everybody knows because the Holy Spirit cannot be hidden. It pours out of our mouths and hearts in the way we speak and live our lives.

Today, I learned so much. I realised that the Holy Spirit is less about the fire that consumes and more of that which empowers. It comes with various gifts that have been tailored to suit each personality. St. Paul tells us in his letter to the Corinthians that there is a different gift for everyone. No one has been left out.

1 Corinthians 12:8-10 (KJV)  
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another diverse kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues.

This brings me to the real points of the day:
1. EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT GIFT.
2. EVERY GIFT IS IMPORTANT.

There is no need for us to myopically believe that not being able to speak in tongues is a sign that one lacks the Holy Spirit. The 'magic' can come as wisdom or knowledge of the word or faith or healing...and the list goes onand on. A lot of people might call me out on the fact that I can not speak the language of the angels and there might be a possible underlying feeling of jealous.  I cannot deny that there might be an iota of truth in that, but I refuse to withdraw my stand because St Paul (a writer after my heart) has clearly stated

1 Corinthians 14:18-19 (KJV)  
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

This, I will say can be summarised in one sentence:
I am useless to you if I only speak in tongues and cannot make you understand Christ.

Christianity is all about communication. We should relate with God wonderfully, but we should also be able to communicate when we speak amongst our brothers and sisters. How do we expect to encourage one another when we cannot? Do we believe that people can be converted if they watch us speaking to our God in words that they do not understand? Are we really offering any help? Let us remember that on the Pentecost day, every man understood the disciples as they spoke in their NATIVE languages (Acts 2:6).

Picture this: You are in a quiet room trying to pray when two men, one Japanese and the other Indian, begin to pray for you in their own languages in loud voices. Would you really appreciate the prayers? Would you like to say 'Amen' to prayers that are almost meaningless to you? Do not rush to answer. Think first.

PS: I apologise for not dwelling on other gifts. If asked to pick a gift that I believe I have, I will say faith now (which I am still working on) but give me a few years, when I become a doctor. You know what I will say then.

Assignment: Pick any gift you want or you believe you have and pray for it. If you want to learn the tongues, pray for that gift. Pray also that you will be able to understand it. It is foolish for one to 'practice' speaking in tongues. There is no such thing.

Bible Verses
Judges 3:10
Romans 8:2-6
1Corinthians 12:8-10; 14:18-19
Acts 1:8
John14:15-17

Dedication
To all those who feel like lesser Christians because they cannot speak in tongues.

Comments

  1. Wonderful pragmatic piece here, youre smart ma, I think you have the gift of wisdom, but you don't let it shine often *🏃 🏃 *
    ... Please when you start letting other authors write on your blog tell me, I have the gift of writing dope shii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pragmatic piece here, youre smart ma, I think you have the gift of wisdom, but you don't let it shine often *🏃 🏃 *
    ... Please when you start letting other authors write on your blog tell me, I have the gift of writing dope shii

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Till This Day

The Hustle

Musings: Confessions of an Ex-Church Girl