The Little Things

Do you ever have that phase in life where you start feeling like the world has left you behind and God's graces are slipping from your fingers? Lately, that had become my default mode. I get some tough luck; I blame my diminishing graces. I lose something important; I blame my poor spiritual life. Somehow it had managed to progressively crush a significant portion of my faith in God and myself.

So there I was, dwelling in that strange mood again earlier today. I left the school premises (not so far from the institution) for some personal reasons and when it was time to return, I realised I had no money on me. Surely I could have borrowed from a friend, but my pride wouldn't listen. *Walk* I told myself. *What is the worst that could happen? Besides, exercise does not hurt anyone.*
So I walked and walked until the heavens decided to send down the rain. That it was just drizzling did not stop me from feeling like my unlucky genes were playing their tricks again.  The tiny woman in my head took her usually position inside my ear and began her speech. *Why so unlucky?* she asked me. *Maybe it is because you need to make peace with your God.* What kind of peace would that be? I am no saint, but I choose to believe that my sins are not even note-worthy. Just a few lies here and there like many others. I know the Bible says that sin is sin, but I think you understand exactly what I am trying to say here. All the same,  I refused to be deterred by the rain or  my pessimistic imaginary friend. Hitching a ride would have been good, but the cars were not forthcoming. So I made a decision. *It is not pouring* I said to myself. *Why don't we just wing it and walk any way?* That was how my imaginary friend and I continued our journey until we reached our destination. People of God, you wouldn't believe that immediately I arrived at the door (not a second later), it started raining buckets. BUCKETS! Anybody passing me at that point would have wondered why I was laughing at myself or shaking my head. I would have wondered too, if I had seen such, but the emotions that enveloped me had me laughing uncontrollably. *Why so lucky* I said to myself gladly when no one else would.

I know it is too small to draw any conclusions. Many are out there winning lotteries and big raffle draws and here I am feeling like the luckiest girl on earth. What can I say? Little things matter to me and this infinitesimal act is enough to keep me positive for a while; at least until the next I-think-I'm-unlucky spirit possesses me again. Right now, I know God is on this girl's side and that alone is sufficient for me.

PS: If you are feeling unlucky, just think back. Something like this has probably happened to you as well.
PS: Please do not go out in the rain, no matter how unserious it might seem. I am nursing a running nose and sore throat now because of my pride.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Till This Day

The Hustle

Blue Baby