You Should Taste This One: Food Review


Before you castigate the picture, you should know that I only decided to write about this halfway through my meal. Was it because it was not good enough? Definitely not!  I was just too busy devouring the food, that I completely forgot I could actually tell the world about it.
Before the plate looked like that, there was a nice display of boiled yam and egg sauce before me. Normally, I wouldn't take anything but snacks and rice in a restaurant, but a friend recommended it. For a long time, this pest of a friend has been bugging me: 'Nneoma, go and take yam and egg sauce at Genesis.' 'Nneoma have you had it yet?' So, I got tired of the talk and decided to oblige her.
Before I entered, I was thinking: can any good thing come out of hospital food? ( I consider any food sold near the hospital as hospital food.) Still, I opened the door to Genesis (beside UPTH, Rivers State in case you are wondering) and placed my order.
Just by looking at it, I had this awkward feeling it was going to taste very good. The splash of red and green on white was enough to have me salivating. I never really understood the importance of the 'it should look good, before it can taste good' mantra that our teachers sang to us unceasingly during our Food and Nutrition classes in secondary school. Not until today. The food looked so wonderful that I dug into it almost immediately (it is a miracle that I even remembered to say the grace).
The taste was not disappointing at all. I can't promise the Yoruba clan that the pepper would make one lose his tongue, or the soft-mouthed that there was no hot spice at all. It was just the perfect amount of everything. As usual, green pepper worked it's magic and turned the taste into something heavenly (I know my little sister has already written it off as she detests green pepper). Did I forget to mention that there were four sizeable pieces of yam on my plate? Oh yes. Just enough to fully satisfy a hungry heavy feeder. I ate until I could eat no more. Then, I picked my fork and continued. I refused to leave any part of my perfection-on-a-plate behind.
Good news! The best part of my experience was the price (forgive an Igbo girl and her quest for cheap things). It was the cheapest meal I had had in such a reputable place. I'm sure your were expecting a huge amount after you had seen four pieces of yam, but all it took from my weeping near-red bank account was N500. Before you say N500 is too much, the egg sauce more than enough for the yam, and there was more egg than sauce, which was quite surprising. How much is one egg these days? How much is green pepper? As far as I'm concerned, it is one of the best deals you can get with nice chilling air conditioning and Rihanna singing 'Wild Thoughts' on tv.
Finally, this is mainly an appeal for you to try new things when you eat out. Rice is the safest meal, I agree, but it it is not always the best. Take a risk and get something else. It could be the beans you have not had in a while or the plantain porridge that won't stop calling your name. There is really no shame in it. I promise you that it is more satisfying and definitely more filling than anything you have had (so is a certain shawarma that I will talk about very soon). If you do not like it, please be sure to write to my P. A. for a refund (runs away...)

PS: I feel pregnant right now...
PS: If you are ever around University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, do not forget that Nneoma said you should try out the yam and egg sauce in Genesis. Feel free to thank me later.

Directions: Easy. Locate UPTH on your GPS and ask for Genesis when you get there.

#TheRitaSide
Always at your service

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Till This Day

The Hustle

Musings: Confessions of an Ex-Church Girl