The Denial (Peter's POV)



I stood behind the old uncompleted building at the end of the street with my face hiding at the back of the pillar and my lungs begging for air. The cock had already crowed twice and I was still running. Running away from them. Running away from the truth. I knew I should not have shown up after they took Him away. I knew I should have gone home, or even disappeared altogether. My eyes which were initially heavy with sleep now shone like lasers. I laughed ironically as I peeped through a crack in the wall. Just hours ago, He had been begging me and the rest of the guys to stay awake and pray with Him for an hour and I could barely last a minute. Just one hour! Knowing that I would not sleep a wink tonight did not assuage my guilt. I wanted to go back and pray with Him.

I wanted to go back and do a lot of things. Like tell that servant girl that I was not just His follower but His friend too. Or go back to our supper and keep my mouth shut when he said someone would betray him. I wanted to even strangle Judas for doing such a horrible thing amd putting me in this situation. He did not deserve this end. Even robbers and traitors did not get this kind of treatment. All He ever did was say the truth and perform miracles. Unfortunately, the world could not handle that. Even then, they could have just dismissed him as a psychotic, but they wanted to see him suffer and beg. Is that fair? Is anything ever fair in this world?

I could still hear them chanting from where I stood. They wanted to take him to Pilate. Pilate! When did things get so serious? What would happen to him? What had Judas done? The bastard. He was probably asking himself the same question now. Maybe they had paid him off for a job like this one. How much? How much was our Jesus worth? I could almost imagine the traitor's bag of money dripping with blood. Judas had really done an evil deed. But who was I to judge? I had done much worse. Judas had publicly claimed to know Him and I had done the exact opposite. I had denied Him. Three times! Infront of a mere servant girl!

Maybe I should just go back to fishing. Apparently, that is the only thing I am good at.

#TheRitaSide

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Till This Day

The Hustle

Blue Baby